Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Be "The Jack of All Trades"

Here is a lesson I have learned this year...In today's changing world you can't be skilled in just one area. More and more employers want to hire people who have been exposed to a broad range of things and who are familiar and skilled in different fields.

Another thing I have learned (and I'm not thrilled about this one) is that having strong computer skills adds A LOT to your resume. I like my phone, iPod, and having internet access whenever I want it, but I don't like technology. I don't have the patience and often get frustrated trying to learn how to use new technologies. But, through my applying for many many internships, I noticed that almost all of the employers wanted interns who were familiar with many computer programs as well as web design and internet research.

So, I would suggest branching out when chosing your college courses. Take a computer or web design course to learn the basics. It also might be useful to take some elective course outside of your major or minor. Having a wide range of knowledge will benefit you in the future!