Thursday, November 12, 2009

Choosing the Perfect Job For You

In 5 short weeks I will be a college graduate! I am so excited to graduate, get a job, an apartment, and really "start" my life. I always used to assume finding the perfect job would be easy and that as long as I found one I'd easily be able to live a comfortable lifestyle. Well, I am learning there are many uncertainties. But, I truly believe that everyone winds up where they are supposed to be.

I have realized that there is no such thing as a universal "perfect dream job". What you might consider to be your dream job could be another person's worst nightmare. It is very important to really look at the things you value when searching for a job.

I want a job that I am passionate about. I want to look forward to going to work each day, instead of dreading Mondays and constantly counting down the hours until Friday. Life is too short to do a job that you don't enjoy. I have been fortunate enough to have a few people in my life who absolutely love their jobs. They have been a huge source of inspiration for me. Seeing how happy they are makes me want to push hard to find the perfect job for me.

So, how do you determine what your perfect job would be? We learn through our experiences. So, throughout high school and college, try new things. Working different jobs and doing different internships will help you realize what aspects of work you enjoy and what you hate. Do you want to work at a computer all day? Do you want to be working outside of an office environment? Do you want to wear a suit to work everyday or do you feel more comfortable in a casual setting? Do you feel money and job security are more important that personal satisfaction? These may seem like unimportant factors but in my opinion they are the most important.

I am so thankful for each of the jobs and internships I have done. I have loved some and hated some, but I have learned so much about myself through my work experience. I know now that I need a job where I am interacting with and helping people. I also know that I would be unhappy at a job where I sat at a desk and spent most of my time on a computer. While some people may really enjoy this, I've realized that I am not one of them. I have a type B personality, meaning I'm laid back and don't really let the little things bother me. I enjoy working in situations where people are relaxed. I would die of stress working in an environment where you can't make any mistakes and where every situation is treated like it's a "life or death" decision. I almost feel bad for people who "take work home with them" every night. Now, with computers and blackberrys, some people never escape from work.

So, don't be afraid to try new things in college. Areas that I am most interested in are things I didn't think I'd like before I tried them. Most importantly, fight to find your dream job and don't settle for something you hate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.